SoccerHelp Home Page
Soccer Practice - Things You Need For A Good Soccer Practice
- A Ball for Every Player. Ask each child to bring a ball to practice, but buy some extras to bring because some kids will forget. A nylon mesh laundry bag makes a great ball bag. Also, buy a ball pump to keep the balls inflated.
- Small Soccer "Disk" Cones. Disk cones are ideal for marking areas for small sided games. You need 2 disk cones per player (e.g., 30 disk cones for 15 players). Disk cones look like an upside down bowl and come in fluorescent yellow and orange; orange is most visible on brown grass. Consider buying a strap to keep your disk cones on. It is only a few dollars and worth it. As an alternative, you can use strips of brightly colored cloth to mark the areas.
- A Way To Identify "Teams". You can buy practice vests (also called "bibs") for about $6 each, or there are several cheaper ways to identify teams during practice games. One cheap way is to cut the sleeves & bottoms off old t-shirts & use the tops as practice vests; you can spray paint them in different colors to make enough for several teams. Another cheap way is to buy a roll of pink plastic "flagging" at Home Depot ($5.00 in the tool area near the surveying equipment), cut pieces & tie the ends to make a circle that will fit over players heads (around their necks). A third way is to buy a 3-pack of men's "Athletic T-shirts" (about $6.00) in the x-large size. Cut off the top about 3 inches below the bottom of the sleeve & then cut the bottom into 3 cloth circles (just cut it straight across to make the circles). You will get 12 pieces for $6.00. If you need different colors, spray some red or blue paint on them to give a "tie-dyed" look. The bottoms can also be used as field markers.
- Shinguards & Water. Every player should wear shinguards & bring a plastic water bottle with their name on it. I always take extra water because some always forget.
- Assistants. The more the better. Ask parents to help, even if it is just to pick up balls.
- A Whistle. A cheap one will do. This will be hugely helpful in getting attention. Use the whistle to stop & start the practice games described herein.
- An Equipment Bag. To keep your gear in. In it should be some Band-Aids or a small medical kit (about $5). One of the 99� instant ice packs is good. (You squeeze these & they get cold. They are at drugstores).
- Do You Need a Goal or a Lined Field? No. None of the SoccerHelp Practice Games require a goal or a lined field. However, a goal or a net backstop is handy if you are practicing shooting.
- A Watch With A Countdown Timer. You can get by without this, but it makes it a lot easier to run timed games. Timex and Casio make models that are available at Target and Wal-Mart for about $25.
- See Soccer Practice Tips (go to http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer-Practice-Tips.shtml for Soccer Practice Tips)
Copyright 1999-2013, David and Kay Huddleston
Legal Notice - Allowed Uses and Copyright Protection. We allow anyone to link back to this article or to www.Soccerhelp.com. You may also copy on paper for handouts up to 10 pages from Soccerhelp.com PROVIDED: you don't remove any references to SoccerHelp, don't give the impression you own the information, and you MUST include "Source: Soccerhelp.com" at the top or bottom of the article. To copy our work without crediting us is stealing and we will protect our copyrights. We would rather be nice than mean, so please credit Soccerhelp.com if you copy any information from this website. It is illegal to post any information from SoccerHelp on the internet without written permission from David or Kay Huddleston, except we will allow quotes of up to one page to be posted PROVIDED you do not remove any references, do NOT disable links, and provided you add a FUNCTIONING LINK on the bottom of the same page that goes to www.Soccerhelp.com and says "Copyright www.Soccerhelp.com, used with permission". The link MUST work for both visitors AND search engines. We have to enforce this due to blatant theft and to protect our copyrights and we hire a service to look for copyright violations. Thanks for your cooperation.