- Practice Games That Teach Defense. There are several practice games in SoccerHelp Premium that help teach defense. The best for teaching a Zone Defense and team defending for ages 8-12 is "Defend The Goal & Clear Game". A variation for ages U-11 and up and young travel teams is "Chip Shots/Brave Defenders". Three other games that help teach defense are: "Attack & Defend Ball Tag", "Shoulder Tackle & Strength On The Ball Game" and "Small Sided Scrimmage Without A Goalie". All of these games are effective, efficient, teach important skills or concepts and everyone is involved. Also, they are all great fun, except the "Shoulder Tackle" game, which is more of a teaching technique than a fun game (however, it is a great way to teach shielding, shoulder tackling, strength on the ball and winning the ball, all of which are very important and will make a great difference in your team's play).
- How To Teach Defense. How to teach defense is explained at (all are in SoccerHelp Premium unless noted):
- "How To Teach Soccer Zone Defense" (overview and simple rules to guide defender's decisions so they will stay in the correct position)
- "Assigning Soccer Positions", section "e" (8 tips about defense and selecting defenders, why players with good ball skills aren't always good defenders, how to put slower, less skillful players at Fullback and make them successful individually and as team members)
- "10 Soccer Defense Tips & Tactics For Rec Teams", numbers 6-10 (why it is easier to build a good defense than a good offense, teaching First Defender/Second Defender and a basic zone defense, terms to teach your defenders, winning the ball, 3 simple "rules" you should teach your Fullbacks to guide their decisions)
- "Quick Team Improvement Program", numbers 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (First Defender/Second Defender, rules for positioning and shifting, how to teach clearing the ball, simplifying the role of your Fullbacks so they don't get confused, how to avoid giving up goals on breakaways, guidelines for Stoppers and Defensive Midfielders, Formations and Styles of Play that work best for most Recreational teams)
- "41 Tips, Tactics & Strategies", numbers 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9 (where your opponents will most often score from, the area your Fullbacks must defend, clearing the ball, how to clear the ball from your half of the field and counterattack, defensive positioning and movement)
- "Shift & Sag" in the Dictionary (positioning and shifting with the ball)
- "Support" in the Dictionary (First Defender/Second Defender and rules to guide defender's decisions)
- For how to teach one vs. one defense, see "Marking, Jockeying, Shepherding & Defensive Footwork"
soccer drills soccer drills soccer positions soccer positions and how to assign them Soccer Drills - soccer drills for ages 4-16 soccer positions - how to assign and coach soccer positions Soccer Rules - soccer rules and rules of soccer Coaching Soccer - soccer coaching and how to coach soccer Soccer Positions soccer positions soccer formations soccer formations for 4v4 to 11v11 Soccer Rules soccer rules and kids soccer rules Soccer Formations soccer formations Youth Soccer Drills youth soccer drills Soccer Drills - soccer drills that are fun and that teach soccer skills
Copyright 1999-2013, David and Kay Huddleston
Legal Notice - Allowed Uses and Copyright Protection. We allow anyone to link back to this article or to www.Soccerhelp.com. You may also copy on paper for handouts up to 10 pages from Soccerhelp.com PROVIDED: you don't remove any references to SoccerHelp, don't give the impression you own the information, and you MUST include "Source: Soccerhelp.com" at the top or bottom of the article. To copy our work without crediting us is stealing and we will protect our copyrights. We would rather be nice than mean, so please credit Soccerhelp.com if you copy any information from this website. It is illegal to post any information from SoccerHelp on the internet without written permission from David or Kay Huddleston, except we will allow quotes of up to one page to be posted PROVIDED you do not remove any references, do NOT disable links, and provided you add a FUNCTIONING LINK on the bottom of the same page that goes to www.Soccerhelp.com and says "Copyright www.Soccerhelp.com, used with permission". The link MUST work for both visitors AND search engines. We have to enforce this due to blatant theft and to protect our copyrights and we hire a service to look for copyright violations. Thanks for your cooperation. SoccerHelp Home Page