Dear SoccerHelp, am relatively new at this. This is my third season as a coach. I have 5 total on an 8 man roster returning from last fall. We are U-8 playing 5 on 5 - (goalie plus four). On my roster, one has a club foot and is playing an almost exclusive goalie position. We tried defender but he keeps getting beat. He has turned into a fairly good goalie The others vary in speed and ability. Next fall we move up to 7 on 7, but this spring we are 0-2 and facing 6 games in the next five weeks. Any help would be appreciated. Coach John Hi John, My best advice to you is to Defend Deep, keep 2 Fullbacks tight in front of your goal and control the center of the field (force or encourage the opponent to go toward the sideline). See "Defending Deep Basics" on Premium for more tips Other tips:SoccerHelp Home Page
AT U-8, it's mainly about natural athletic ability. You can't expect too much. Focus on the basic skills and you will see improvement. Good luck. Please let me know what helps. Best wishes, David
- Read "Dribbling - How To Teach" (http://soccerhelp.com/premium/Soccer_Dribbling.shtml ) and play the Dribble Across A Square game 3 times to start every practice.
- Teach Coaching Rule No. 3, it's worth 2 or 3 goals per game. Read all the Coaching Rules.(http://soccerhelp.com/premium/Coaching_Rules.shtml )
- Play the Chips/Lofted Passes Game, or the Longest Kick game -- try to teach them how to make a long kick. Buy the "Just Kickin' It" DVD if you don't know how to teach proper form.
- Try a 2 - 2 formation or 2-1-1 (2 Fullbacks). If you have a great, dominant player, try a 2-1-1 and put the great player as the Midfielder to play both offense and defense.
- If your defense needs work, try the "Defend The Goal and Clear" game.
- Play 1v1 games such as "Double Dare Attack/Defend".
- Read the Testimonials from other Rec coaches. You will get ideas from them.
Soccer Drills soccer drills soccer training drills youth soccer drills soccer drills soccer drills kids fun soccer drills for kids soccer drills soccer drills positions soccer formations soccer positions assigning and coaching soccer positions Soccer Rules soccer rules and rules of soccer Soccer Coaching soccer coaching and how to coach soccer Soccer Positions soccer positions soccer formations soccer formations for 4v4 to 11v11 Soccer Rules soccer rules and kids soccer rules soccer formations soccer formations Youth Soccer Drills youth soccer drills Soccer Drills - Youth soccer drills for kids that are fun
Copyright 1999-2013, David and Kay Huddleston
Legal Notice - Allowed Uses and Copyright Protection. We allow anyone to link back to this article or to www.Soccerhelp.com. You may also copy on paper for handouts up to 10 pages from Soccerhelp.com PROVIDED: you don't remove any references to SoccerHelp, don't give the impression you own the information, and you MUST include "Source: Soccerhelp.com" at the top or bottom of the article. To copy our work without crediting us is stealing and we will protect our copyrights. We would rather be nice than mean, so please credit Soccerhelp.com if you copy any information from this website. It is illegal to post any information from SoccerHelp on the internet without written permission from David or Kay Huddleston, except we will allow quotes of up to one page to be posted PROVIDED you do not remove any references, do NOT disable links, and provided you add a FUNCTIONING LINK on the bottom of the same page that goes to www.Soccerhelp.com and says "Copyright www.Soccerhelp.com, used with permission". The link MUST work for both visitors AND search engines. We have to enforce this due to blatant theft and to protect our copyrights and we hire a service to look for copyright violations. Thanks for your cooperation.