SOCCER PRACTICE GAMES Footwork Games: (These are great little games & are also good warm-ups)
"Tick Tock" * * * *
(aka "The Foundation")
- Touch & ball control using inside-of-feet
- Every player has a ball & starts with the ball between his feet, with knees bent
- On "Go" each player taps the ball between his feet. Each tap is "one"
- 1st to reach 20 wins (1st to 40 if U-12).
- Keep knees bent & tap ball with the front of the foot (this gives better control than the back of the foot).
"Steparounds" * * * *
(U-9 & up)
- Flexibility & part of the "Scissors" feint
- Each player has a ball & starts with the ball between his feet, with knees bent
- On "Go" each player moves one foot around the back of the ball (toward the other foot) & then around the front of the ball & ends with the foot back where it started. Then do the other foot. Then the first foot, etc. (e.g., left, right, left, right). First to 20 wins.
- This is one part of a feint called the "Scissors"; the other part is like the "Push & Blast Off Game". (See "How To Teach Feints & Fancy Footwork" at SoccerHelp.com for a description of the Scissors feint).
"Circle & Outside-Of-Foot Push" * *
(U-8 & Up)
- Footwork & use of outside-of-foot to control the ball
- Each player stands behind a ball with feet apart like below:
- Move the right foot forward & then around the front of the ball so the outside of the right foot is touching the ball where the x is. Then push the ball softly to the right (so it goes only 2 or 3 feet), turn to the right so the ball is again at your feet & do it again.
- Do 10 "circle & pushes" using the right foot & then 10 using the left foot. The first player to do 10 wins.
Copyright 1999-2002, Kay Huddleston
Back to Practice Games Contents Page Back to SoccerHelp Home Page