- Practice Games That Teach Defense. There are several practice games in SoccerHelp Premium that help teach defense. The best for teaching a Zone Defense and team defending for ages 8-12 is "Defend The Goal & Clear Game". A variation for ages U-11 and up and young travel teams is "Chip Shots/Brave Defenders". Three other games that help teach defense are: "Attack & Defend Ball Tag", "Shoulder Tackle & Strength On The Ball Game" and "Small Sided Scrimmage Without A Goalie". All of these games are effective, efficient, teach important skills or concepts and everyone is involved. Also, they are all great fun, except the "Shoulder Tackle" game, which is more of a teaching technique than a fun game (however, it is a great way to teach shielding, shoulder tackling, strength on the ball and winning the ball, all of which are very important and will make a great difference in your team's play).
- How To Teach Defense. How to teach defense is explained at (all are in SoccerHelp Premium unless noted):
- "How To Teach Soccer Zone Defense" (overview and simple rules to guide defender's decisions so they will stay in the correct position)
- "Assigning Soccer Positions", section "e" (8 tips about defense and selecting defenders, why players with good ball skills aren't always good defenders, how to put slower, less skillful players at Fullback and make them successful individually and as team members)
- "10 Soccer Defense Tips & Tactics For Rec Teams", numbers 6-10 (why it is easier to build a good defense than a good offense, teaching First Defender/Second Defender and a basic zone defense, terms to teach your defenders, winning the ball, 3 simple "rules" you should teach your Fullbacks to guide their decisions)
- "Quick Team Improvement Program", numbers 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 (First Defender/Second Defender, rules for positioning and shifting, how to teach clearing the ball, simplifying the role of your Fullbacks so they don't get confused, how to avoid giving up goals on breakaways, guidelines for Stoppers and Defensive Midfielders, Formations and Styles of Play that work best for most Recreational teams)
- "41 Tips, Tactics & Strategies", numbers 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9 (where your opponents will most often score from, the area your Fullbacks must defend, clearing the ball, how to clear the ball from your half of the field and counterattack, defensive positioning and movement)
- "Shift & Sag" in the Dictionary (positioning and shifting with the ball)
- "Support" in the Dictionary (First Defender/Second Defender and rules to guide defender's decisions)
- For how to teach one vs. one defense, see "Marking, Jockeying, Shepherding & Defensive Footwork"
soccer positions soccer positions and how to assign them youth soccer drills that are games youth soccer drills that are games
Copyright 1999-2017, David and Kay Huddleston
Legal Notice - Allowed Uses and Copyright Protection. We allow anyone to link to this article or to www.SoccerHelp.com. You may also copy on paper for handouts up to 10 pages from SoccerHelp.com PROVIDED: you include "Source: SoccerHelp.com" at the top or bottom of the article. To copy our work without crediting us is stealing and we WILL protect our copyrights and Trademarks. We would rather be nice than mean, so please follow the guidelines in this paragraph. It is illegal to post any information from SoccerHelp on the internet without written permission from David or Kay Huddleston. If you want to share our information, simply post a link to that page of SoccerHelp. We will allow short quotes of up to 50 words to be posted PROVIDED you do not remove any references to SoccerHelp.com, do NOT disable links, do not copy any images, and provided you add a READABLE FUNCTIONING LINK on the TOP of the same page that goes to www.SoccerHelp.com and says "Copyright www.SoccerHelp.com, used with permission". The link MUST work for both visitors AND search engines and must be at least a size 12 font. We have to enforce this due to blatant theft and to protect our copyrights. We hire a service to look for copyright violations and report violations to the search engines. Taking our original material and making minor changes is still copyright violation and we WILL enforce our copyrights. Thanks for your cooperation.